Weekend Workshop in Classical Drawing
Introduction to the Bargue Drawing and Sight-sized method, with academic drawing copies and life model session.
About the workshop
The workshop is a practical introduction to one of the most established training methods in realist observational drawing and painting to date. Bargue training was developed and made popular by the French art schools during the 19th century, and helped in the training of many of the most established classical realists and impressionists during the turn of the 19th century. In the workshop we will focus on training our observation and we will learn how to use well established methods for identifying, correcting, and building an observationally accurate drawing and painting.
This workshop serves as a one time experience of the methodology as well as an introduction to the sight-sized drawing courses by Linda. The price for the workshop can be deducted from a full course later.
During the hands-on workshop, students go through the setup process for a Bargue Plate copy or a life model drawing. Individual discussion as well as group introduction will be conducted. All utilities and materials included, just bring a curious and exciting self!
Structure of the workshop
The workshop is separated into 2 sections, signups are separated as well:
1. Sight-sized introduction with simple Bargue plates (Introduction-Bargue)
- This 3-hour section costs 5,900. ISK
- 1 hour introduction on the approach of sight-size, the use of a plumb line, easel setup, use and purpose of materials, working with visual memory and familiarize with the concept of the big impression, as well as the concept of a step-wise approach in drawing, based strongly on observation.
- A 2-hour copy of a simple Bargue Plate from the book "The Charles Bargue Drawing Course", drawing in graphite with personalized instruction.
2. Sight-sized introduction with a life model (Introduction-Model)
- This 3-hour section costs 7,300. ISK
- 1 hour introduction on the approach and set-up of sight-size, the use of a plumb line, familiarize with visual terms such as light and shadow shape, gesture and the big impression.
- A 2-hour pose of a life model drawing in graphite with on-going personalized instruction.
- Location: Vinnustofur listamanna, Lyngási 7, Garðabæ. (7 mins walk from Ásgarður busstop)
- Instruction will be in English
- COVID: We will adhere to a 2m rule between students. (masks and hand sanitizers will also be provided)
How to register
You are free to sign up for just one part of the workshop or both. Just send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to make a booking. The minimal number to run a workshop is 6. Make sure to write the section you would like to attend in the email, " Introduction-model" or " Introduction- Bargue". You will then receive a confirmation email. Payments need to be made to ensure your spot, bookings will otherwise be cancelled after 24 hours. Payments by card or PayPal is also possible. Please contact Linda by email for any question at email@example.com
If you have been wondering what the sight-sized method is about or simply been thinking about trying it but have not got down doing it on your own, this hands-on introductory workshop is for you!! : )
Schedule of the workshop
Sight-sized introduction with simple Bargue plates (Introduction-Bargue)
First day 13:00 - 16:00
- 13:00-13:15 Introduction - concept of sight-size, visual memory, big impression, simplification, shadow and light shape. Handouts included.
- 13:15-13:30 visual memory exercise
- 13:30-13:50 practical setup, easel, plumb line and materials
- 13:50-14:00 coffee break
- 14:00-14:30 simple Bargue plate copy
- 14:30-15:00 copy continued with first round of one-on-one discussion
- 15:00-15:10 coffee break and Q&A
- 15:10-15:30 simple Bargue plate copy continued
- 15:30-16:00 copy continued with second round of one-on-one discussion
Sight-sized introduction with a life model (Introduction-Model)
Second day 16:30 - 19:30
- 16:30-16:45 Introduction - concept of sight-size, visual memory, big impression, simplification, shadow and light shape. Handouts included.
- 16:45-17:00 visual memory exercise
- 17:00-17:20 practical setup
- 17:20-17:30 coffee break and model set up
- 17:30-17:55 model session (with on going 1-1 instruction)
- 17:55-18:00 model break
- 18:00-18:25 model session continued
- 18:25-18:35 model break
- 18:35-19:00 model session continued
- 19:00-19:05 model break
- 19:05-19:30 last model session