Foundations in Oil Painting
- using the training methods of the French Academy
I recommend taking at least one Bargue drawing course before moving to this foundation painting course. The reason is that the methods we will use for painting build strictly on the observational methods we study in academic drawing.
The course operates in an Atelier environment. There are 6x 3 hour long lessons, once a week. Students attend a total of 18 hours of training under personalized instruction in order to complete the course. The course focuses on the medium of oil paint, but applying classical realist methods as introduced in the drawing course.
- The 4 painting sessions from April-May costs 28.600 ISK or 7150/3 hour session. (Including all facilities and some materials. I recommend bringing your own brushes.)
- 4 Classes run on Sundays from 13:00-16:00. On 18 of April and 2, 16 and 30 of May.
- Location: Vinnustofur Listamanna, Lyngás 7, Garðabæ (7 mins walk from Ásgarður stop by Bus1 )
- Instruction will be in English
- COVID: We will adhere to a 2m rule between students. (masks and hand sanitizers will also be provided)
The minimal number of student for each session is 4, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest. Make sure to specify which course/s you are interested in.
Payments can be made by transfer, card or PayPal. If you require spread payment, please contact Linda directly by email at email@example.com
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions or assistance in signing up.
ABOUT THE COURSE:
This course follows the French academic method, expanding on the Bargue drawing foundation introduced in the drawing lessons (see drawing lessons course description). We will use the exact same methods of sight size observation and form simplification, except here applied with the oil painting medium and its technicalities.
During the course, the student will complete one painting based on a transfer of a sketch or a previous Bargue drawing, using a gray scale palette. Furthermore the student will complete 2-3 alla prima paintings from still life setup using both gray scale and limited color palettes.
AT THE END OF THE COURSE, STUDENTS SHOULD:
- know how to perform oil transfer from a sketch or drawing
- be familiar with the character and challenges of traditional oil mediums
- be familiar with a gray scale oil palette for controlling values
- be familiar with a limited oil palette for introducing temperature
- be familiar with the technicalities of alla-prima (direct wet on wet painting)
- know how to mix a palette into tone values and temperatures
- have learned about preparatory work, sketches and oil studies
Instruction method: Students will receive instructions individually in a studio environment.
About the instructor: Linda Jen is a graduate of the Florence Academy of Art where she trained in classical realist painting using many of the traditional methods introduced in this course. Linda is a member of the Association of Icelandic Visual Artists (SÍM).